Nitec was delighted to sponsor a bi–annual charity golf tournament hosted by the Mooney Hotel Group in aid of the Children’s Cancer Unit Charity.
The fundraiser took place over two days in September at Rockmount Golf Club in Carryduff. Over 70 teams participated, with Carnbrooke Meats emerging as the tournament winners. Along with Nitec’s sponsorship contribution and a raffle prize (Amazon Echo), the event raised the incredible amount of over £70,000.
All funds raised will go directly to the charity which supports the work of the medical team and staff at the Children’s Cancer Unit in the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children, the only place where children in Northern Ireland can receive specialist treatment for cancer. Over the last couple of years, the Children’s Cancer Unit Charity has provided the Unit with over £1.5million to:
• build an extension at the Children’s Cancer Unit, adding two new special isolation bedrooms and increasing the number of beds to ten (£660K).
• help pay for a new, dedicated MRI Scanner for the Children’s Hospital at the Royal.
• develop a specialist App that equips our staff with tools to help prepare children for potentially stressful procedures, such as MRI scans or radiotherapy (325K).
• increase staffing provision at the Children’s Cancer Unit by employing additional Play Specialist Nurses and Data Managers for research purposes (£120K annually).
• establish a new Teenagers & Young Adults Service, which sees tailored, age–specific treatment and care provided to patients aged 14 – 25 across Northern Ireland (£50k).
• send 26 families from Northern Ireland affected by cancer to Disneyland Paris, allowing patients, their parents and their siblings to enjoy invaluable family time together(£50k).